Making baby flannel blankets are super easy and fast and make great gifts. I have received many homemade blankets over the years and I love each one! I really don’t think you can have too many blankets!
Here’s what you do:
1. Pick two flannel fabrics of complementing colors. For this blanket I did one side flannel and the other a cozy soft baby fabric.
2. Cut the fabrics out to the same square or rectangle size. I make it super easy on myself and just do one yard of each fabric.
3. Put the fabrics right sides together and stitch 5/8 inch away from the edge around the whole blanket, leaving about a 5 inch opening. Then you can clip the corners to make them turn out to a point easier.
4. Turn the blanket right side out and smooth out the edges. You can then iron the blanket to make the edges smooth and easier to top stitch.
5. Pin the sides to make sure they don’t slide and top stich about a 1/4 inch around the edge of the blanket. I did a little more than that for this blanket. You can tie it with a coordinating yarn as well if you want, every 6 inches or so.
6. Fold it up, exposing a color of the fun pattern on the inside and tie it together with a ribbon. And then you’re done!