I saw this pattern while on pinterest, and I knew I had to make my own version of it! It took me several months to get it finished. And I finally got it done in August 2014, and I am just now getting around to writing about it!
I used Vickie Howell’s cottonish yarn in Grey T-Shirt and Cotton Gin, size E crochet hook, x3 1/2″ matching buttons, and crocheted this in the 12 months size.
So here are my notes about this pattern:
- Working with dk cotton yarn and a small hook works up a little slower than I’d like, not a con, just a note.
- The beret needed another row or two of dc to fit my child’s head properly.
- I had to block it like crazy (and after each wash) to get the dress to lay flat and not pull since it is mainly crocheted in the round. I don’t know about you, but no matter how I join in the round (and I’ve tried several methods), my work on this project pulled to the right something fierce (I crochet left-handed).
Then… I made a matching diaper cover. Yay! I based it on Elizabeth Alan’s princess diaper cover. I changed it up a bit since the pattern is just sewing together two of the same sides. Ahm, I don’t know any 12-month size baby who whose front side is the same shape as their back side. Not to mention those chunky thighs. So, I made adjustments. And yes, I used the 1/8″ elastic, as suggested in the pattern for the larger sizes.
Here is a photo of my little monkey modeling the dress (this is before she was walking, and she wouldn’t keep the hat on for long enough to take the photo):
Follow me on pinterest!